Call for Papers
Guide to submissions
RAISE Conference 2018
Sheffield Hallam University
5 – 7 September 2018
Deadline for submission: Wednesday 28 February 2018
We invite you to submit contributions to the Researching, Advancing & Inspiring Student Engagement (RAISE) Conference for 2018. We particularly welcome submissions from students.
The conference aims to offer a forum and platform showcasing practice and research about, student engagement (SE) and partnership. Staff in all roles, all students, and others interested in university and college higher education are welcome to contribute.
We can accept a range of modes of submission. As in 2017, the conference will take place over three days, but it will also be possible to register for one or two days.
Registration will open on 23rd April 2018 for contributors. The focus of this year’s conference is Working better together: collaborations in student engagement. Partnership working is an integral part of developing and enhancing student engagement in higher education, and the conference committee is happy to receive submissions from higher education staff and students, and partner organisations, based on one of the following themes:
- Engaging students through student-staff collaborations
- Inter-disciplinary or cross-institutional student engagement initiatives
- Collaborative student engagement research projects
- Student-led student engagement initiatives
- Collaborative / whole-institution approaches to evaluating student engagement
Types of submission:
- Papers: These should be brief, accessible presentations or interactive sessions of no more than 20 minutes (plus 10 minutes for questions) on one of the conference themes
- Poster presentations: Posters should be no smaller than A1 in size but may be up to A0. Portrait or landscape orientation is acceptable. Printed posters must be taken to the conference. Digital posters and demonstrations can also be accommodated.
- Workshops: These longer slots of 50 minutes are to enable you to run an interactive session with delegates, exploring one of the conference themes
- Pecha Kuchas: These short presentations should be highly focussed, and consist of 20 slides which are shown for 20 seconds each, with a narrative, constituting a presentation of 6 minutes 40 seconds in total (plus 3 minutes for questions).
All submissions should have a lead author / key contact, and should consist of no more than 4 presenters. We particularly welcome submissions which are led by, or include, student presenters or facilitators.
If you have a paper or session accepted to the conference, we may invite you to be responsible for chairing another session, and providing a bloggable (500-600 words) account of the key issues covered in that session.
If you have any questions about the conference or your submission – please email us at email@example.com
Approximate fees 2018 (subject to change)
|Charging structure||Early bird||Late registration|
|2 day delegate||£280||£330|
|2 day presenter||£260||£310|
|Students per day||£20||£20|